Changing the default font in an Abiword file
Koala
2007-09-12 19:50:25 UTC
Suppose I open a new Abiword file in the default (normal) template, and the
font for the default (normal) template is say Times New Roman 12 regular. I
then name and save the file. Is it then possible to change the default font
for that file to eg Verdana 10 bold? I can't find any way to do this. I can
change a selection of text, but not the default font for that file (so when
I type new text it automatically appears in Verdana 10 bold and not Times
New Roman 12 regular).
2007-09-13 22:53:11 UTC
Post by Koala
Suppose I open a new Abiword file in the default (normal) template, and the
font for the default (normal) template is say Times New Roman 12 regular. I
then name and save the file. Is it then possible to change the default font
for that file to eg Verdana 10 bold? I can't find any way to do this. I can
change a selection of text, but not the default font for that file (so when
I type new text it automatically appears in Verdana 10 bold and not Times
New Roman 12 regular).
These steps should work:

- Format > Create and Modify Styles
- Select "Normal"
- Press the Modify button
- Choose Format > Font
- Change the font and press OK twice and then Close
Koala
2007-09-14 18:06:12 UTC
Thanks Sum1abi - that seems to work, providing I also change
"Based On" from whatever it says to "Normal" (or whatever I want)
and change "Style for following paragraph" from whatever it says to Normal
(or whatever I want).
I don't have Windows Word installed on my computer so I'm not able to see
how it does a change of default font for a file already running, but I have
a feeling if you highlight some text and then click on Format, and then
change the font settings eg from Aerial to Verdana, you are asked if you
want to make the change the default font for the file. I would like to see
that in Abiword.

J.M. Maurer
2007-09-16 19:07:27 UTC
Post by Koala
Suppose I open a new Abiword file in the default (normal) template, and the
font for the default (normal) template is say Times New Roman 12 regular. I
then name and save the file. Is it then possible to change the default font
for that file to eg Verdana 10 bold? I can't find any way to do this. I can
change a selection of text, but not the default font for that file (so when
I type new text it automatically appears in Verdana 10 bold and not Times
New Roman 12 regular).
Just editing the normal.awt file directly with a text editor to change
the default font should work fine.

Marc

J.M. Maurer
2007-09-16 19:15:41 UTC
Post by J.M. Maurer
Post by Koala
Suppose I open a new Abiword file in the default (normal) template, and the
font for the default (normal) template is say Times New Roman 12 regular. I
then name and save the file. Is it then possible to change the default font
for that file to eg Verdana 10 bold? I can't find any way to do this. I can
change a selection of text, but not the default font for that file (so when
I type new text it automatically appears in Verdana 10 bold and not Times
New Roman 12 regular).
Just editing the normal.awt file directly with a text editor to change
the default font should work fine.
Erm, ignore me... this thread was already answered :X

Marc

Koala
2007-09-16 21:59:56 UTC
Thanks Marc - modifying your suggestion a bit, I went to "My Computer",
found an Abiword file I wanted to change the default font for, opened it
with Notepad so I was looking at the code for the file, found the default
font settings and changed them to the ones I wanted, and that worked. I've
got two separate methods now, but I'd be willing to bet that about half the
computer users in the real world would not have sufficient computer skills
to use either, and nor would they be able to figure out how to change the
default setting that come with the Abiword program so their new files open
with the settings they prefer. Needs a more user-friendly method for both in
my opinion.
Cheers,

J.M. Maurer
2007-09-16 22:21:29 UTC
Post by Koala
Thanks Marc - modifying your suggestion a bit, I went to "My Computer",
found an Abiword file I wanted to change the default font for, opened it
with Notepad so I was looking at the code for the file, found the default
font settings and changed them to the ones I wanted, and that worked. I've
got two separate methods now, but I'd be willing to bet that about half the
computer users in the real world would not have sufficient computer skills
to use either, and nor would they be able to figure out how to change the
default setting that come with the Abiword program so their new files open
with the settings they prefer. Needs a more user-friendly method for both in
my opinion.
Can't agree more :)

Marc